Saturday, February 6, 2010

It Can't Work


Look at these...


I know adorable right? So I attacked it tonight, the kids were a bed, the Mr. was occupied with the TV, and I dragged all the various equipment out, (basement still flooded) I read the manual, to the newly repaired machine, and I reread, and reread, and I practiced, and repracticed, and practiced again.... and in a phrase I have learned from my children. "IT CANT WORK!!) The auto button hole specialty foot which probably retails for a million dollars, can't work, the "manual mode" can't work, the memorizing the manual button hole can't work... it all can't work.

Look at this.. so close, and yet so very very far away...

I'm very frustrated, and I may have teared up after two hours of trying, and problem solving. I miss my reliable machine, (which is as good as dead now) I miss my basement sewing area. I miss being able to finish my project.
Some good things did happen today. This for example...
(did not require buttonholes.. also I do really like drafting patterns for Kit, and am considering launching a little blog all about her wardrobe this is a mimic of the Oliver and S skirts, with sailor front and kick pleat)

This happened...

(dino by Cubby, ballerina by Miss H, oil pastel on black archival paper)

and also this...

(ballerina by Miss H, Cubby by Cubby)

and mostly this...


(God help the family to feel better and watch over our friends.)

C and H wrote that on our prayer board. We are working as a family on meaningful prayer, and so between meals we make a little list on this chalkboard and then pray together before we eat. We're on Day three, and today was the first day any of the kids had the nerve to write on the board, they would call out stuff for me to write, but this was the first time they took all the initiative. It's a blessing..

(but it's not eight perfect button holes!!)

All right, I'm off to try it again, (even though I have every confidence It Can't Work!) because I am not a quitter, although I appear to be a little bit of a crybaby.

3 comments:

Heather said...

You poor thing. I'm frustrated for you!!! Darn button holes. Wish you could just twitch your nose and they'd magically appear. =)
I think I would really like sewing too. Did someone teach you? Take lessons? Or self taught?? I'm guessing I'd need 12 hours of private lessons a day for a year to learn how to make a pillow case. LOL. Maybe that's something I'll look into doing this year. Especially since it'd be nice to get those perfect fitting clothes. I can't tell you how frustrated I am with the clothing industry right now. My daughter wears 6-12 months in waist, and 18-24months in length. WAAAAH!!
Anyway, good luck with those button holes. I can't wait to see more of your sewing creations =)

Anonymous said...

you can always do the cheater way and just zigzag stitch in a rectangle shape, which is how i would do it, or sew a rectangle of fabric to the front and cut holein the middle, then turn to other side also a good cheat for buttonholes, good luck! When you succeed please come over and make buttonholes for me too!!

Ty & Andi said...

those pictures the kids drew are AMAZING! How did you teach them to do that? I NEED to see you. You should come over, no flooded basement here...of course I had no cool basement to begin with...
I am so sorry! I do have a machine that makes buttons holes...not nearly as nice as your machine, but it might do the job. You are more than welcome to borrow it anytime! Or come over and use it.