Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Fourth of July!!



Having been raised in Huntington Beach, I have to say I LOVE the 4th. It is at times difficult to live here where America's Birthday is a day of celebration not CELEBRATION if you know what I mean. Regardless of location, the show must go on so to speak, so we are working to build our own little traditions.

We started off with a good breakfast, and then after Lil Bit's morning nap we headed down to our pool for their celebration. There were t-shirt relays, bobbing for apples, diving for money (a big hit with our boys) and something called a watermelon dive that I had never heard of before, that involves trying to get a lubed watermelon out of the pool. So fun! We headed home from there exhausted, showered the kids up, grilled out and tried to recoup for round two... fireworks!!

We had to drive to a town about 20 minutes away to see a good show. This again made me a little more homesick for Good Old HB where we would have just loaded our stroller and pushed the kids down to the beach. Anyway, putting the kids in the car at 7:30 (usually bedtime) to drive somewhere where we would schlep them 1/2 a mile to a grassy field and wait for the show to start at 9:30.. seemed anti-intuitive... but it was great. The kids had a great time and so did the Mr. and I! And although we were not home until 11:00... they did sleep in a little bit.. and we still made it to church on time.

I greatly missed my family this year, watching the Parade with Nea's family (and enjoying their fantastic party!) as well as taking part in the wild trek down Huntington Street to watch the fireworks over the ocean.

I also thought about how one of the neatest things about the parade experience is the bumping into people you haven't seen in forever... Hopefully, we will be able to make it out there next year!!

Happy Birthday America!

1 comment:

Ty & Andi said...

We are here, we have been for close to two weeks. But, we finally have internet and phones now, and a 2nd car so I can get around. I love your posts! Hopefully we can come find you soon!